Tips for After A Boil Water Notice is Lifted
As we mentioned earlier, the boil water notice for City of Buda Water Customers East of Onion Creek has been lifted. Here are some tips on what to do now that your tap water is safe for consumption.
Do I need to clean out my faucets?
Yes. You should flush your faucets after the drinking water advisory.
- Turn on the main water valve.
- Turn on the cold water tap at all faucets and run the water until you feel a change in temperature (i.e. the water gets noticeably colder). This may take several minutes. Begin with the faucet that is highest up in your home or building and then open the other faucets one at a time moving from the highest floor to the lowest.
Do I need to clean appliances?
Yes. Read the owner’s manual for directions to clean appliances such as water softeners and filter units.
My refrigerator has a water dispenser/ice maker. Do I need to clean them?
Yes. Water dispensers and ice makers are connected to your water line. You need to flush and clean them.
Follow the directions in the owner’s manual or:
- Change the filter cartridges.
- Throw out ice.
- Flush the water dispenser for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Run the ice maker for 1 hour.
- Throw out all the ice.
- Wash and sanitize bin areas.
Do I need to do something for the water softener?
Yes. You may need to run through a regeneration cycle. Follow the directions in the owner’s manual.
I have a water treatment unit for the house. Does it need special care?
Yes. Change the filter cartridges. Some units need disinfecting. Follow the directions in the unit’s owner’s manual.